|Huawei's situation is about to get worse. Reuters|
By Jung Min-ho
U.S. President Donald Trump is preparing to ban Chinese telecoms giant Huawei from selling its equipment to U.S. wireless carriers, sources told Politico.
Trump is expected to sign an executive order banning Chinese telecoms equipment from U.S. wireless networks as early as this week or, at the latest, by the end of this month.
"There's a big push to get it out before MWC (Barcelona)," said an industry source familiar with the matter. The event is scheduled to be held from Feb. 25 to 28.
By pre-empting the world's largest exhibition for the mobile industry, the White House plans to send a signal that future contracts for new technology must prioritize cyber security.
The move will likely worsen the Trump administration's already tense relations with Beijing.
The order would have a profound impact on the future of Huawei and ZTE, the two Chinese companies accused by the U.S. government and others of posing national security risks.
This comes after a report that the U.S. State Department is discouraging European countries from using equipment made by Huawei in their 5G rollouts.
Meanwhile, the University of California, Berkeley, has decided to halt a new research project with Huawei.
The school announced on Jan. 30 that it banned new funding or gifts by Huawei or any of its affiliates "after careful internal review and consultation with peer institutions" because of the "serious allegations" in the U.S. Justice Department's 13-count indictment.
"U.C. Berkeley holds its research partners to the highest possible standards of corporate conduct, and the severity of these accusations raises questions and concerns that only our judicial system can address," Randy Howard Katz, the school's vice chancellor for research, said in a letter to its deans and other senior directors.
Last month, Oxford University also said it would forgo further funding from Huawei in "light of public concerns raised in recent months surrounding U.K. partnerships with Huawei."